Friday, April 2, 2010

Volunteer Work

Why do people volunteer? Do they get satisfaction? How about that people want to give back something to the community? Or maybe you are retired, and bored, so you want something to do? And nowadays, with the jobs very scarce, you volunteer in a place you like, so at least you have your one foot is on the door of the business! And if you are doing good, and the company has an opening, then Bam!! You are offerred the job!!! Way to go!!!! I applaud these people that are proactive in their careers. They have a good plan, and these kind of people should succeed in life!!!! What kind of volunteer work are there?? There are a ton of volunteer work. It seems like there is volunteer work for all profession. The list is long and anybody or everybody can volunteer! Oh, Oh, I take this. Not everybody can be a volunteer in some jobs. Why is that? You have to undergo a background check and pass it to be able to become a volunteer on some jobs! I was a volunteer on a lot of different things. When it pertains to asking donations, or selling tickets, I quit after the third meeting! This is not for me!! And especially at this kind of economy? All you get is rejection over and over again!!! I guess I am one of those individuals that is not at ease with regards to selling tickets,or advertisements. Sometimes, I am at awe with these people that can approach anybody without guilt. And they sell quite a bit too! Not me. Oh, well, I guess that is why I am not a politician! Can you just imagine me trying to raise money for the campaign? It will probably be a huge flop!!! How did I juggle volunteer work, a real job and family? It was not easy. You must have a lot of energy doing all these things. You are right, I was surprised too, that I was able to juggle all the things I had to do. It must have made me really tired that I did not have a problem with my sleeping. That is a plus!! No sleepless nights!!! Alleluia!!!! Okay, I was a volunteer in hand bell choir in the local church. How did you do that? You do not even know how to read music!! Now, now, do not be sarcastic!!! I am also amazed at how I was able to do it! No, kidding aside, I know a little bit about notes and music. I used to take piano lessons, but after a few months, I quit! Why? My mother told me that all she can hear is my teacher and I laughing and giggling! I was just wasting my precious money! I totally agree with her! So, I quit, and never returned to studying the piano again!!! I am sooo disgusted to myself by doing that. Oh, well. Back to hand bell choir. There was nothing unforgettable with the bell choir, until one day last year. We were performing in a mass, and here I was, totally engrossed with the music and my bells. All of a sudden, in the middle of our performance, my music book flew to the seat in front of me!!! Ay ya yay!!! Oh, no!!! The kids in front of me all looked back to me and my book on their chair!!!! I must have a look of horror on my face, because some of the choir members told me after the mass that the look in my face was priceless!!! I must have hit the book hard with my hand or bell that it flew in front of me! How about that, a flying music book! Ha! Ha!HA! I was so glad that we have our backs turned from the people!! Can you just imagine if we were facing the altar and the congregation?? I would have caused quite a stir and embarrassment!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! I was not laughing then. Needless to say, I lost my place in the music, and it was awhile before I was able to retrieve my music book from the children's choir sitting in front of us!!! It was one of those precious, unforgettable episode in my life!!!! I was also involved with other volunteer work, but the one that sticks to my mind is being with Meals on Wheels. There was a lot of sweating I experienced with Meals on Wheels. First, is the unknown streets. They give you a map, but if you do not know how to read it.....tough!!! Phew!!!! Sorry, I was not a girl scout and I never learned how to read a map! You are by yourself, in strange surroundings. Quick!!! Think!!! Luckily, there was a garbage collector, so I ran to them, and they did not dissappoint me! My guardian angels on my Meals on Wheels directions are the garbage collectors and the mail carriers!!! Thank you guys!!! You really know your way around a city!!! One day, when I was delivering the last meal to a lady that lived at the end of a block, I got really scared. Her house is beside a some kind of forest. I hesitated to go out of my car. I have to do this. Get out of the car! This is your last stop on your delivery route!!! Get hold of yourself!!! Take a deep breath and get out of your car!!! My hands are so cold and clammy, and the hair from my arms are standing up!!! What is wrong with you??? Nothing, except it reminded me of the movie I watched last night, that happened in a forest. What movie is that? The Blair Witch Project! Dumb! Dumb! Dumb! That made you afraid?? Ha! Ha! Ha! I do not know why, but it did! Who knows why? Has anybody experienced the same thing like I did? Is it the same movie??? Then you quit Meals on Wheels!!! Quitter!!!! Chicken!!!! No, this episode did not made made me quit the Meals on Wheels, my work schedule did!!! See, you can have fun and adventure with volunteering!!! I joined and I sure have some good, unforgettable experiences. Have a nice weekend!!!!!!!
Posted by vs at 3/28/2010 4:26 PM Add Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment