Sunday, July 11, 2010

Chickens, Hens and Roosters

Chickens, Hens, or Roosters??? It does not matter to me since these are all good food!!! Yum! Yum! Does it matter what you eat?? First, let us see what the difference is between the three. Oh, no, here she is with her 2 cents worth of some high brow, intellectual definitions!!! Hurry, guys, go now!!! LOL. Hmmmm.....On the other hand, it will not hurt us to listen to what she is going to say! We might learn something new!!! Okay, we are ready!!!! One, two, three, set, go!!!!

Did you know that there are more chickens in the world than any other bird? Yes, I do!!! Look all around you with all the restaurants, including fast food that serves chicken!!! There are sooo many things you can do to a chicken. the possibilities are endless, but the most popular are fried, broasted, roasted, a sandwich or soup!!! Chickens are the most widely used food, that is why sometimes, I am tired of eating chicken and I can just hit my head on the wall, and say," not chicken again!!!!" How about you? Don't you get tired of eating chicken??? We eat chicken soo much that I feel like I look like a chicken!!!! Now, now, that is too much!!! Come to think of it... you sure do look like a chicken, with your hair up, and your neck!!!! Ha!Ha! Ha! I could not resist!!! Excuse me, I do not need you to agree with me!!! Enough with the insults!!!! Truce????
Okay, let us get back to our topics.....

Hens. What do you want to know about it? A hen is a female chicken that is over a year old. The younger females are called pullets! Did you know that?? You are starting to bore me!!!! Let me continue....Hens lay eggs and when they do, they cluck loudly! Why??? I do not know, but I am guessing to tell the world that an egg has been laid! Any comments, anyone???? When this egg hatches, a baby chicken is born called chick!!!! The incubation period of an egg is 21 days!!!! Who cares??? In some countries, before the egg hatches, they cook the egg with the embryo! They claim it is rich in calcium and is an aphrodisiac!!!! When you crack the egg, you can see the chicken embryo complete with some feathers!!! Would you like to taste one???? Gross!!!!

How about roosters?? A rooster or cock is an adult male chicken . Males under 1 year old is called cockerels, and castrated roosters are called capons!!! Roosters are differentiated from hens by their striking plumage, marked by long flowing tails and shiny, pointed feathers on their backs and necks!!! In other words, roosters are more attractive and prettier than hens!!! That does not sound right!!! Do you want to complain??? Where??? I do not know about you!!! You are crazy, did you know that?? Sure!!! Anything else?? Ha! Ha! Ha! You thought that I will not agree with you??? Nenenenenene... Back to the rooster. Roosters are often portrayed as crowing at the break of dawn, and are often seen perched on a fence. When the rooster crows, it is a territorial signal to other roosters!!! I did not know that!!! See, you learned something, after all!!! Thank you to me!!!

What other things can the rooster do??? Cockfighting!!! What is cockfighting??? It is a contest held in a ring between 2 roosters that are specially bred and trained for increase stamina and strength! Wagers are usually made and the last bird standing is declared the winner! Sounds like boxing to me, except it is with roosters!!!! Very interesting!!! In some countries, it is considered a traditional sport, and some countries outlaw cockfighting because of animal cruelty!!!

I remembered a few years back. It is a story of a chicken that was trying to get away!!! We were driving on a country road, and there was a sign that says," chickens for sale," Thinking that this is fresh, it will taste better. So we bought one! When we reach the house, somehow the chicken got loose. I was sooo glad that the garage was closed!! The chicken did not want to end up on the dinner table, so it kept on flying, up and under the cars!!! We took a broom, so we can nudged him out wherever he was, but we did not have any success!!! By this time, we were all getting hysterical!! Wow!!! That must have been a sight!!!! This chicken is making us work really hard!! It took us a while before we caught him. Or maybe the chicken finally gave up since we were not going to give up!!! Especially after he gave us a run for our dinner!!! LOL... Needless to say, it ended up in the pot. My mother was sooo upset and told us that she will do it for the first and last time!!! I do not blame her. When I was watching her clean the chicken, I did not realized how hard and tedious that undertaking was!!!! I was soo glad she did it, because I do not think I knew how to proceed!!! Wait a minute, how come it took forever for the chicken to cook??? I do not know!!! It was probably a rooster??? I heard that roosters take longer to cook!!! But when we finally ate, my goodness, it was way, way better than the frozen chickens you buy in the stores!!! It was well worth the time and effort we spent chasing after the chicken!!! It was really very good!!! Yummy!!! So, are you going to get another one?? No, it is good but no, thanks!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! That is one unforgettable experience we had with the chicken!!!!

Did this blog make you hungry for chicken??? Which would it be??? Fried, broasted, grilled or barbeque??? Come on, let us go to our favorite diner and have chicken for dinner!!!! Yum! yum! yum!!!
Posted by vs at 7/11/2010 10:44 AM Add Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment